Sunday, February 6, 2011

Buckle your Seatbelt

My neighbor's sister drives like a drunk. She weaves from lane
to lane like a stockcar driver warming up his tires. All this
while smoking a dark brown, extra long cigarette(?), texting nonstop,
and flicking through Yanni songs on her I-pod.


How do I know this? Because I desperately needed a ride one day,
but I'm quite sure I didn't need one THIS badly. I'll never ride
with her again as long as I live, and that is to ensure that I live longer.

When she and I finally arrived at our destination, I was puzzled when she barreled into a handicapped parking space and slammed on the brakes.

I DETEST when unauthorized people do this! Not only is it illegal but it's terribly thoughtless and rude.

As I grumbled to myself, lo and behold, she
whipped out a handicap parking permit and hooked it over her rearview mirror! Despite the fact that I was still trembling with fear from the ride, this last incident at least offered some distraction.


I chose my words wisely as to not offend and said, "Gosh Sherry. I  didn't realize that you had a physical disability. If this is none of my business, please just say  so."She nonchalantly ground her cigarette butt out on the top of an empty Dr. Pepper can as she replied, "Oh yes. All of my adult life. I'm legally blind."


0.0   <----- ME.

Stunned but not quite speechless, I asked, "How in the world did you get a driver's license if you're legally blind?"She did this weird thing with her eyebrows as she glared at me. Her expression was intended to make me feel like a total idiot. And it worked.

She loudly stated, "DAHHHHHHHHH. You don't need a driver's license to get a handicap permit!!!!!!!!! Sheeeze."

Then, .....I WAS speechless.

No comments:

Post a Comment