Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I love you, Dad xox



My Dad (age 78) died today after an exhausting battle with colon cancer. He could not have hung on so long without the devoted hospice team that served him,... and the love and devotion from my dear mother. My mother has loved this man deeply from the very moment she met him sixty years ago!

What a colorful character, my dad! He had deep, beautiful blue eyes and a flirty smile. He was charming and interesting with personality galore. He loved doing auto repair, both mechanical and body work. He enjoyed the challenge of buying a used car and rebuilding it into custom design. He also loved music. He was techy savvy when it came to computers and cameras--all self taught.  He made his living doing home repair and remodeling. My mother said he could fix anything. I believe it.

My dad was a talented artist in many ways. Even his gorgeous penmanship was proof of that. I think back and remember how beautifully he decorated our Christmas tree with 3-D stars that he had folded from shiny, colorful ribbon. Later in life, I asked him where he learned the art of origami. He said he picked up that skill as a very young boy, and would sell those stars on the street to earn money. I wonder where he found all that ribbon?

                                          




See you again someday, Dad.
                                      
    You are missed. xoxox


No comments:

Post a Comment